Special needs catered for
A range of special needs catered for, including Asperger’s, Autism and Dyslexia.
In 2016 LVS Hassocks achieved its best ever GCSE results, with 97% of exam papers marked A* - E, with 44% of papers receiving A* - C grades – both record figures for the school. Fourteen learners sat GCSEs in ICT, maths, English literature and English language with nine of them – 64% - gaining all A* - D grades, also an increase on last year’s previous best.
In addition to GCSEs, learners are also able to choose from a wide range of other academic qualifications including BTECs, NVQs, A-Levels and AS Levels.
Specialist facilities include: a dedicated suite for speech, language and occupational therapies; a massage room; an Oast café for on-site work experience.
Support services provided
Support services provided include: SaLT; OT; Massage therapy; Clinical Psychology; Outreach; Training.
Home school links
Links with local mainstream colleges; supporting learnings into the college of their choice in their home authority; regular contact with parents via home/school communication books, phone calls, emails plus regular events at school and parent/teacher progress meetings.
Set on a tranquil 37 acre site, learners have access to playing fields, gardens and horticulture area including chickens and polytunnels, along with a duck pond. Additional leisure facilities include a new social building, designated music room to encourage communication via playing music as a group, and multi-use games area providing a safe all-weather outside space for learners to play basketball, football and other sports. Learning facilities include a new state of the art classroom block which includes a designated food technology classroom and art class.
Aims and philosophy
LVS Hassocks provides a unique, positive education for young people on the autism spectrum. It successfully:
• Gives learners the skills they need to live independently as adults
• Improves learners’ academic achievements
• Builds learners’ confidence in dealing with social situations
• Helps learners leaving after exams to go on to further education or training for the job they want
• Provides the right environment to help young people with autism do well
Staff qualification and selection
•All class teachers have QTS or QTLLS
• Residential staff and LSAs have NVQ L3 in the relevant field
• HLTA qualifications
• Dyslexia qualification held by some staff
• Therapists qualified and registered with HPC (OTs qualified in Sensory Integration)
• Staff undertake a range of qualifications relating to autism and managers undertake Institute of Leadership and Management qualifications
• Selection is dependent on the role being recruited to but look for skills and experience of working with learners with a diagnosis on the autism spectrum.
Destinations beyond the school
LVS Hassocks is very proud of its record in ensuring learners leaving the school go on to further education or employment. Former learner Liam Pope developed a love of cooking during his time at LVS Hassocks, achieved cooking qualifications at the school along with work experience and a placement to go to upon leaving, and is now the Sodexo Young Chef of the Year. Of LVS Hassocks’ 2016 leavers, four have gone on to mainstream further education courses and two into full-time employment.
Visit our Facebook page
Follow us on Twitter